It has been a hot mess in our home for a few weeks. Carpet installed, blinds installed, and a new refrigerator……..all in one day!!! It was a long process, moving all the furniture from the bedrooms, emptying all the closets, taking all the shelving our of closets and living like vagabonds until it came in. Carpet arrived and it was flawed, had to wait another four weeks. Blinds came in, every window was wrong except for my kitchen bay window. The refrigerator, well, it took over two months to make its appearance but he was worth the wait! Edna has a baby brother. Meet Earl!!!!
The house is back in order and the refrigerator is running! Life is GOOD!
I was in the mood for some good, creamy cheese grits. I love grits, add cheese to them and I do cartwheels. I made a succotash of corn, lima beans, bell peppers of every color, and onion. We ate the cheese grits for breakfast and added the succotash on top for dinner. Quick and easy and I had both meals prepared for the day. SCORE!
The peppers and corn mixed with cheese grits gave the meal texture and a tad of sweetness, not too much, just the right amount.
You can eat the succotash plain on its own, or put it on top of rice, or slap it on top of these creamy dreamy cheese grits!
This is a can’t go wrong meal. You have breakfast and dinner ready at the same time. That leaves more time to watch the Housewives of any city on Bravo!
- 6 C. water
- 1 1/2 cups grits
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 eggs, well beaten
- 2 teaspoons Lowry's seasoned salt
- 1 lb. Velveeta cheese, cut into 1" cubes
- 1/2 stick butter
- Bring water with salt to a boil.
- Add grits slowly, stirring as you add them to water. Cook until done and creamy.
- Remove from heat and immediately add eggs slowly and then other ingredients.
- Pour into greased into 13 x 9" pan.
- Bake at 300 for one hour.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- One onion-chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 red bell pepper-cut into 2” slices
- 1 yellow bell pepper-cut into 2” slices
- 1 green bell pepper-cut into 2” slices
- 1 (16 oz.) bag frozen whole kernel corn, thawed
- 1 (10 oz. package baby lima beans, thawed
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic, cook 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Add peppers, cook additional 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add corn, lime beans, and whipping cream. Cook 5 minutes or heated throughout.
- Remove from heat and add salt and pepper.
- Serve over cheese grits or rice.