It is finally getting a little cooler in Pensacola, for a couple of days at least. We are always pretty much at the end of our rope with the heat and humidity at this point and treasure a few ‘cooler’ October days. We are very aware that the heat is always lurking around the corner ready to pounce! We spent the weekend outside enjoying the ‘no humidity’ for a few hours. I definitely didn’t want to spend my time inside cooking. I had no plans for meals this weekend which is rare for me. I have meals planned for weeks in advance. I went to my pantry to see what I could pull together. My pantry pulled through with a winner…Easy Ziti…Quick and Easy Ziti…Ziti in a Flash…Minute Ziti…ZIPPY ZITI!
I have blogged “Ziti” before, you can find it here. I didn’t have all the ingredients to make that particular recipe, but I had the goods to make a much simpler version. My pantry did a great job of pulling a last minute meal together. Sometimes the best meals are the ones that you literally throw in a pot and make it work.
Cook pasta according to package directions, drain, and return to pot. People ask me what brand of pasta I use, Barilla….always Barilla.
While the pasta is cooking, in a large saucepan, combine tomatoes, black olives, onion, basil, oregano, and garlic powder. Heat until heated throughout.
Add the tomato mixture to the pasta. Stir to combine.
Add mozzarella cheese to the mixture and stir to combine.
Pour pasta mixture into prepared pan.
Bake about 15 minutes, until cheese melts and browned on top.
Not gonna lie, for a last minute pull-together meal, this was GOOD! Open your pantry, odds are you have everything you need to make this Zippy Ziti!
Jody and Edna
- 12 ounces uncooked ziti
- 2 (14.5 oz.) cans diced tomatoes with basil, oregano and olive oil
- ½ cup sliced or chopped black olives
- ½ cup diced onion
- 2 teaspoons basil
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- ¼ cup balsamic vinaigrette
- 8 oz. grated mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 9 x 13 pan with non-stick spray.
- Cook pasta according to package directions, drain and return to pot.
- While the pasta is cooking, in a large pot, combine tomatoes, black olives, basil, oregano, and garlic powder. Heat until heated throughout.
- Add the tomato mixture to the pasta. Stir to combine.
- Add mozzarella cheese to the mixture and stir to combine.
- Pour pasta mixture into prepared pan.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake about 15 minutes, until cheese melts and browned on top.