Well, it is officially fall. In Pensacola, we are still hitting 90 degrees with over the top humidity. We wear shorts and flip flops all year long. As I matter of fact, I wore a pair of flip flops to church Sunday. They were sparkly flip flops, but flip flops non the less. You can buy a bathing year round in our stores. You can find water floats, sunscreen, coolers, and anything you want with a flamingo on it. As much as I love my Florida life, I need a little fall! I need to pretend that there are pretty fall leaves on the ground. I need to wear boots and a sweater. I want a fire in the fireplace. So instead of having these wonderful fall transitions actually happen, I light an apple caramel candle, make myself a pumpkin spice latte and get a pot of soup simmering on the stove!
This soup is ridiculously easy! It literally takes a couple of minutes to have it simmering on the stove.
Let’s get this pot simmering on the stove so your kitchen can begin to smell divine!
You will need to cook and shred some chicken or do like I do and go get yourself a delicious rotisserie and shred that sucker.
Heat some oil in a soup pot and saute chopped onion and minced garlic till it is sizzling.
Add creamed corn, diced tomatoes, chicken broth, black beans, chiles, and chicken and stir to combine.
Let it simmer so all the flavors can combine and have your kitchen smelling like heaven!
And that’s it, that’s all there is to this pot of soup! You can top it with shredded cheese, sliced jalapenos, chopped fresh cilantro, or chopped freshed parsley.
This soup is bursting with flavor! Sir Streusel and I kept going back to the pot ‘for just a little bit more’. This is quick, easy, and oh so good!
Now, I need to go put on a sweater, pull on my boots, make a pumpkin spice latte, and get myself a bowl of soup. Oh yea, I will also need to crank the air conditioner to 65 degrees so I can tolerate the sweater and boots!
Happy Fall Y’all!
Jody and Edna
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 cans (14.5 oz.) creamed corn
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) petite diced tomatoes
- 1 can (15.5 oz.) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (4 oz.) diced green chiles
- 1 14 oz. can chicken broth
- 2 cup shredded cooked chicken
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, heat the oil and garlic over medium-high heat until the garlic begins to sizzle.
- Add the creamed corn, diced tomatoes, chicken broth, black beans, chiles, and chicken and stir to combine.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat to low and simmer to blend the ingredients.
- Stir in the cilantro (optional).
- Salt and Pepper to taste.