I felt so good to be back in my kitchen this weekend with my beloved oven, Edna. I missed her and she missed me! I wanted to treat Sir Streusel to his favorite Bread Pudding, but with a twist. You can find his favorite Bread Pudding here. I wanted to add a little chocolate to it, for me!
I baked this for us to eat later in the day for dessert, but we dove straight in for breakfast!
To get this baby started, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 13×9” baking dish with cooking spray. Place torn or cut bread pieces on a baking sheet. Bake about 10 minutes or until bread is dry. Let cool.
Cover and refrigerate for at least 8 hours or overnight. The next morning, remove from refrigerator and let stand for 30 minutes.
Uncover and sprinkle with chocolate morsels.
Place in oven and bake for one hour. While bread is baking, toast pecans and prepare Butter Rum Sauce.
To prepare the Butter Rum Sauce, in a small pot, bring brown sugar and rum to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Stir in butter until melted. Simmer until sauce becomes thick and syrupy, about 7-10 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool slightly before serving.
After an hour in my Edna, this is what she presented to me.
Now, are you ready to put it over the top?! I mean, like, over the moon, around the earth, and circle the sun over the top?! Pour that delicious Butter Rum Sauce on top of this baby!
I am going to need you to promise me, become my blood sister, pinky promise me that you will make this dish. If you don’t, I don’t think we can be friends and that would make me so sad. I don’t want to be sad or lose friends so, I’m going to assume you will make this Bread Pudding and we can be friends forever! YEA!!!!!
Enjoy every bite!
Jody and Edna
- 1-lb loaf French bread, cut or torn into 1” pieces
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 12-ounce bag bittersweet chocolate morsels
- 1 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- ½ cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup dark or light rum
- ½ cup softened unsalted butter
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 13x9” baking dish with cooking spray.
- Place torn or cut bread pieces on a baking sheet. Bake about 10 minutes or until bread is dry. Let cool.
- In a large bowl, whisk together milk, sugar, eggs, vanilla, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Add bread, and toss to combine.
- Pour bread mixture into prepared baking dish.
- Using a spatula, gently press bread to cover with milk mixture.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and sprinkle with chocolate morsels.
- Bake until puffed and golden brown, about one hour.
- Sprinkle with toasted pecans.
- Serve warm with Butter Rum Sauce.
- In a small pot, bring brown sugar and rum to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Stir in butter until melted.
- Simmer until sauce becomes thick and syrupy, about 7-10 minutes.
- Stir in salt.
- Remove from heat.
- Let cool slightly before serving.