I am sharing with you today Pork Chops that have been marinated and then either put on the grill or on a stove top in a grill pan. Summertime means summer veggies! Roasted squash in a cast iron skillet with feta and jalapenos, well, simply put….mind blowing!!!
I love pork chops. I mean, really, really love them. I refer to them as finger food. There is no better way to eat a chop than to just pick that baby up and bite into it. Unless of course you are in public and you don’t want to look like a cave man eating your chop!
Start with adding the following ingredients to a resealable bag: grated onion, brown sugar, lime zest, lime juice, fresh thyme, kosher salt, cumin seed, and crushed red pepper.
Add the chops to the bag and place in refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
Remove chops from bag and discard marinade.
Cook chops on stove top or on the grill.
While the chops are cooking, prepare the squash. It is my belief that everything is better cooked in a cast iron skillet and roasted squash is no exception.
To prepare the squash I first toasted a baking sheet of panko and then set off to the side.
Place cast iron skillet with one tbsp. oil in preheated 425 degree oven until very hot, about 6-8 minutes.
In a large bowl, toss together squash, jalapeno, salt, pepper and olive oil.
Place squash and sliced peppers in hot skillet, cut side down.
Transfer skillet to oven and cook 14-16 minutes, turning squash half way through cooking time.
Remove skillet and sprinkle squash with feta cheese, toasted panko and fresh mint.
We cooked our pork chops, we roasted our squash, all that is left is to plate our food and EAT!
I cooked four pork chops for this meal thinking we would have leftovers. Sir Streusel at THREE of these babies. I shouldn’t say anything because after he got his serving of squash from the skillet, I ate every bit of what was left. We eat big in this house!
This is probably my favorite pork chop recipe. I know for a fact Eric loves it….he ate THREE!
Jody and Edna
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil. Divided
- 2 lbs. medium yellow squash, halved lengthwise and cut crosswise.
- 1 Jalapeno Pepper, sliced
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- Fresh mint
- 2 Tbsp. panko, toasted
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Toast panko on a baking sheet, set aside.
- In a 12” cast-iron skillet, pour 1 Tbsp. oil.
- Place skillet in oven until very hot, about 6-8 minutes.
- In a large bowl, toss together squash, jalapeno, salt, pepper and remaining 2 Tbsp. oil.
- Place squash and sliced peppers in hot skillet, cut side down.
- Transfer skillet to oven and bake until browned, about 8 minutes.
- Turn squash and cook for an additional 6-8 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with feta cheese, mint and toasted bread crumbs.
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ¼ cup grated onion
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. lime zest
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper.
- 4 bone-in pork chops
- Combine first 9 ingredients in a large resealable bag.
- Add pork chops to mag and seal bag.
- Refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- Remove pork from bag, discarding marinade.
- Let stand at room temperature for at least 30 minutes.
- Spray grill pan with cooking spray.
- Cook pork chops over medium heat until cooked throughout, about 7-8 minutes per side.