I felt like I wanted a salad. I felt like I wanted chicken. I felt like I wanted everything covered in delicious balsamic vinaigrette. So I got in the kitchen and got busy. Sometimes you just have to make things happen for yourself.
I started by seasoning chicken tenders with salt, pepper, and my favorite chicken seasoning.
I then heated my grill pan with olive oil and let it get hot. I cooked the chicken about 10 minutes per side. You want that beautiful brown crisp on the chicken. When the chicken is cooked through, remove to a plate and let it rest.
While the chicken is cooking and resting, make your balsamic vinaigrette and roast the asparagus.
To make the balsamic vinaigrette, bring balsamic vinegar to a boil then lower to a simmer. Cook until thickened, about 10 minutes. Add honey, dijon mustard, kosher salt, and pepper to balsamic vinegar. Whisk to combine and let sit.
You will NEVER buy balsamic dressing again, I promise and I don’t break promises!
Diagonally slice asparagus and place on a baking sheet. Season with Kosher salt and pepper. Drizzle with olive oil and place in preheated 450-degree oven. Roast for 20 minutes or until it gets a good ‘crust’ on the tips.
This is basically what is going on at one time. Stove-top grilling chicken, balasmic dressing cooking, and asparagus roasting. Everything coming together at the same time. I love not waisting time in the kitchen.
This is the cheese I use for Caprese salads.
These little pears of mozzarella are already marinated and seasoned to perfection. I drain them of the oil and they are good to go. I may or may not have eaten half of them before they ever reached the salad.
On a plate or a large salad bowl, combine salad greens, sliced cherry tomatoes, mozzarella pearls, sliced onion, and asparagus. Top with chicken and drizzle with balsamic dressing.
People will tell you this salad is too pretty to eat, nonsense! Tell them to grab a fork and dig in! Sir Streusel and I each grabbed a fork and started eating off the serving plate together. We didn’t even wait to plate ourselves our own individual salad. It made for a fun night. Just Sir Streusel and myself enjoying a beautiful salad together.
Please share pictures with me when, not if, you make this beauty. I love seeing our fans pictures of our food!
Jody and Edna
- 4 large chicken tenders
- 1 large bag of mixed baby greens/spinach leaves
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 6 oz mozzarella pearls
- 8 oz fresh asparagus, tough ends trimmed, cut into halves on diagonal
- 1 onion-sliced
- 4 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3/4 cup quality balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- 1/2 tsp prepared Dijon mustard
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Preheat a large skillet with 2 Tbsp. olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Rub the chicken with 2 Tbsp. of olive oil, salt, pepper and paprika.
- Grill chicken for 10 minutes on each side, or until chicken is cooked through.
- Place cut asparagus on a baking sheet.
- Season with kosher salt and pepper.
- Drizzle with olive oil.
- Place in preheated oven for 20 minutes or until asparagus has browned, crisp tips.
- Toss salad, asparagus, tomatoes and mozzarella in a large bowl. Top with chicken and drizzle with balsamic dressing.
- Bring balsamic vinegar to a boil in a small saucepan, then reduce the heat to a simmer, stirring often.
- Cook until reduced in volume by half, about 8 minutes and just thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon.
- Whisk in remaining dressing ingredients.