Here is a meal for you that is low carb, low fat, and best of all, cooked in the slow cooker! It involves three ingredients: chicken, lime vinaigrette and chipotle peppers.
The spring weather is too gorgeous to stay inside cooking. This takes maybe 5 minutes to put in the slow cooker and then you are good to go!
Place chicken in a slow cooker. Add salad dressing and chipotle peppers. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 7 hours or high for 3 to 3 ½ hours. Transfer chicken to a cutting board.
Get yourself two forks and start shredding and nibbling, nibbling is encouraged.
Place the shredded chicken on a lettuce cup, I use Bibb lettuce, and top with a slice of avocado and a slice of lime.
You could serve this over rice, pasta, or as Sir Streusel did…wrapped in a warmed tortilla. I went the low carb way with the lettuce cups and have no regrets.
Pull out your slow cooker and get this going. We need to enjoy these spring days before the dog days of summer set in!
Jody and Edna
- 2 lb. skinless, boneless chicken, breast or thighs
- ¾ cup light lime vinaigrette salad dressing
- 1 can minced chipotle peppers in adobe sauce
- Bibb lettuce leaves
- Avocado, halved and sliced
- Lime slices
- Place chicken in a slow cooker. Add salad dressing and chipotle peppers.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 to 7 hours or low for 3 to 3 ½ hours.
- Transfer chicken to a cutting board. Shred chicken using two forks.
- Skim fat from cooking liquid and stir shredded chicken into liquid in cooker.
- Using a slotted spoon, spoon chicken onto lettuce.
- Top with avocados and lime wedges. (optional)