I love pasta, it is my downfall for sure. I can never say no to a plate of pasta. My favorite pasta is penne. There is just something about those little tubes of carbs that make me do cartwheels! I have noticed lately that when I do a cartwheel I now see ‘stars’! I need to make a mental note to find another move to do when I get excited. Wait, I better write that down because I don’t remember my mental notes anymore. Wait, where is my pen??? Shoot, what I was I going to write down?! Help!!!!!!
This dish combines chicken, pasta, broccoli, red pepper, onion, garlic, mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese, and feta cheese. Yea, yea, you love me, I know.
Prehat oven to 400 degrees.
Rough chop broccoli.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add pasta to boiling water for 5 minutes.
While pasta is cooking, melt butter in a small skillet. Add chopped onion and minced garlic to skillet and cook until onion is tender. Set aside.
Add chopped broccoli to the pot and boil for 1 to 2 minutes.
Drain broccoli and pasta and rinse with cold water to stop cooking process.
In a large skillet, add butter over medium heat to skillet. Whisk flour into the melted butter, add chicken broth and cook until mixture begins to thicken. Add salt, pepper and oregano, stirring to combine. Add mozzarella, parmesan cheese, and feta cheese to large skillet, stirring to combine.
Add chicken, pasta, broccoli, onion, garlic, and red peppers, stirring well.
Pour into prepared baking dish.
Sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top.
Bake until heated throughout and top is lightly browned.
**Leave the chicken out of the dish and serve as a veggie side dish.
It is so flavorful, the kind of flavor that packs a punch! The roasted red pepper gives it a sweet flavor that is unicorn magical! That’s right…..unicorn magical!!!
This is a dish that is perfect for dinner, a covered dish event, Mother’s day, or Easter. In other words, just prepare and eat it!
Jody and Edna
- 1 pound of penne pasta
- 3 cups broccoli, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 Rotisserie Chicken, shredded
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- ¼ cup unsalted butter plus 2 tablespoons
- ¼ cup sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 8 oz. grated mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 ounces crumbled feta cheese
- 1 (12 oz.) jar of roasted red peppers, drained and roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray a 13 x 9-inch baking dish with nonstick baking spray.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add pasta to the pot.
- After 5 or 6 minutes of boiling pasta, add broccoli to the pot and boil for an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Drain broccoli and pasta and rinse with cold water to stop cooking process.
- In a small skillet, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Set small skillet to the side.
- In a large skillet, add remaining ¼ cup butter over medium heat to skillet.
- Whisk in the flour to the melted butter.
- Add chicken broth to flour mixture, whisking to remove lumps.
- Cook, stirring, until mixture begins to thicken.
- Add salt, pepper and oregano stirring to combine.
- Add mozzarella, 1 cup of parmesan cheese, and feta cheese to large skillet, stirring to combine.
- Add chicken, pasta, broccoli, onion, garlic, and red peppers, stirring well.
- Pour into prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle remaining cup of Parmesan on top of dish.
- Bake until hot throughout and top is lightly browned, approximately 20-25 minutes.