I love Saturday morning breakfast. It is my favorite meal of the week to prepare. No time table, no clock watching, no having to get in on the table before everyone is rushing out the door, just a relaxing morning in the kitchen at my own speed. We love Migas. Migas is a dish of tortilla chips mixed into a scrambled egg mixture.
It doesn’t get much easier than Migas. You can put whatever ingredients you are in the mood for in your scrambled egg mixture. I normally throw in whatever is in the fridge and I need to use. Our favorite combination is onion, jalapenos, bell peppers and cheese.
Dice jalapeno, removing the seeds and membranes. Chop green pepper, red pepper and onion. Grate 1 1/2 cups of cheese, I used cheddar.
In a medium bowl, whisk eggs with half and half, salt, pepper and set aside.
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt olive oil with butter. Add onions and bell peppers and cook until starting to turn brown, about 5 minutes. Add in diced jalapenos and stir to combine.
Reduce heat to low.
When the heat has decreased, pour egg mixture into skillet.
Stir gently to cook with the peppers. Fold or mix mixture gently.
Add in grated cheese and tortilla chips.
Breakfast is done!
I cannot tell you how much we love Migas! So full of flavor and filling. So perfect for a relaxing Saturday morning and that is just the way we like it!!
Jody and Edna
- 2 cups tortilla chips
- 1 jalapeno, seeded
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 12 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups grated cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup half and half
- In a bowl, whisk eggs and half and half.
- Salt and pepper eggs, then set to the side.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt the olive oil with the butter.
- Add onions and bell peppers.
- Cook until starting to turn brown.
- Add diced jalapenos and stir to combine.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Once heat has decreased, pour egg mixture into the skillet. stir gently to cook with the peppers.
- Add in grated cheese and tortilla chips.
- Stir gently to combine and tortilla chips barely soften.