Have I mentioned that I love this time of year?! The music, the Hallmark movies that ALL have the same ending, the food, the parties, getting to wear Christmas jewelry, and baking for friends. Sometimes I feel like this after a full day of Christmas baking…..
But most of the time I feel like this….
This is a quick cake. Sort of like a bread, sort of like a pound cake. Whatever it is, it is darn good and makes a great Christmas gift.
Let’s get this baby started. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
In a medium bowl, whisk together buttermilk, egg, melted butter, and almond extract.
Pour buttermilk mixture over flour mixture.
Fold until flour is almost combined. Add sprinkles, and gently fold until flour is just moistened. Spoon batter into prepared pan.
Bake about 45 to 50 minutes. Let cool for about 10 minutes in the pan before removing. Let cool completely before icing with a simple glaze.
This cake makes a great gift if you can bring yourself to give it away. Friends will be singing your praises. You will make friends for life. You will have strangers calling you in hopes of becoming your friend just to maybe get one of these cakes. You will have the upper hand so when you need help with something you can say, “Remember when I gave you that little Christmas cake?”.
Merry Almost Christmas!!
Bake this little cake and sing my Edna’s praises!!!
Jody and Edna
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup butter, melted
- ¼ cup almond extract
- 6 tablespoons Christmas sprinkles
- 2 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tablespoons whole buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 9” x 5” loaf fan with baking spray with flour
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together buttermilk, egg, melted butter, and almond extract.
- Pour buttermilk mixture over flour mixture.
- Fold until flour is almost combined.
- Add sprinkles, and gently fold until flour is just moistened.
- Spoon batter into prepared pan.
- Bake about 45 to 50 minutes or until a toothpick is inserted and comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan for 10 minutes.
- Remove from pan and let cool completely on a wire rack.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together confectioners’ sugar, buttermilk, and corn syrup.
- Drizzle over cooled loaf.
- Top with sprinkles if desired.