I am sharing with you a little twist on an old classic. I need you to imagine Chicken Pot Pie right out of the oven, steaming hot, being served on your table. Now imagine Chicken Pot Pie with green apples cooked into it and topped with cheddar dumplings. That got you smiling didn’t it?!
Let me preface this by saying Sir Streusel doesn’t like his favorite dishes ‘messed with’ as he so eloquently says. He was totally on board with this, like…..totally!
This will make a 9 x 13 inch pan, or a deep dish pie, or two regular pie plates. I made two 8″ pies, I shared one with my neighbors. Don’t you want to be my neighbor?
Another plus to this recipe, it uses rotisserie chicken. HALLELUJAH!!! Debone and shred the chicken and set to the side. Adjust oven rack to lower/middle position and heat oven to 400 degrees.
Heat two tablespoons butter in a large deep skillet over medium/high heat. Add celery, onion and apples and cook until just tender.
Transfer mixture to bowl with shredded chicken.
Heat chicken broth and evaporated milk in the microwave. Heat butter over medium heat in the empty skillet. When foaming subsides, whisk in flour and sage and cook until golden. Whisk in the hot milk mixture and simmer until sauce thickens, about 1-3 minutes.
Turn off the heat, stir in some sherry and season to taste with salt and pepper. Add parsley and chicken with vegetables and apples to sauce mixture. Stir sauce and pour into prepared dish.
The Cheddar Dumplings are a mixture of all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cheddar. Mix everything together in a medium bowl and add buttermilk and grated butter. Combine and make small dough rounds to place on top of chicken mixture.
Place in preheated oven for 30-40 minutes, or until golden brown and bubbly.
Perfection! Have I said how much I love my Edna?!
The green apples give just a little tart taste to the pot pie. The cheddar dumplings, well, they speak for themselves.
This pretty much sums up my thoughts on Chicken Pot Pie…….
Enjoy your Chicken Pot Pie with a twist. Maybe you will even sing a little song about the pie!!
Jody and Edna
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 12 0z. can evaporated milk
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 large Granny Smith Apples, chopped
- 1 rotisserie chicken, shredded
- ½ cup plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons dried sage
- ¼ cup sherry
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, frozen
- 1 cup cold buttermilk, more if necessary
- Spray a 9 x 13 baking dish, or deep dish pie plate, or 2-8” pie plates with non stick cooking spray.
- Shred Rotisserie Chicken and place in a large bowl. Set to side.
- Adjust oven rack to lower/middle position and heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Microwave chicken broth and evaporated milk in a microwave-safe bowl until hot and steamy, approximately four minutes.
- Heat two tablespoons butter in a large deep skillet over medium/high heat.
- Add celery, onion and apples and cook until just tender.
- Transfer mixture to bowl with shredded chicken.
- Heat remaining four tablespoons butter over medium heat in the empty skillet. When foaming subsides, whisk in flour and sage and cook until golden.
- Whisk in hot milk mixture and simmer until sauce thickens, about 1-3 minutes.
- Stir in sherry and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add parsley and chicken with vegetables and apples to sauce mixture.
- Stir sauce and pour into prepared dish.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cheddar with a fork.
- Using a grater, grate frozen butter into dry ingredients.
- Mix quickly with fingertips to evenly blend.
- Mix buttermilk into dry ingredients with a fork until dough just comes together.
- Pinch dough with fingers into small rounds and place over filling.
- Bake until biscuits are golden brown and filling is bubbly, about 30-40 minutes