Chicken Noodle Soup. Just say it. Just say, “Chicken Noodle Soup”. Did you feel the calm sweep over you? Did you feel like you were just wrapped in a snuggly blanket? Did you just feel your blood pressure lower 20 points? That my friends is the power of Chicken Noodle Soup.
To start the soup, we need to make the broth. Quarter an onion, slice a carrot in half and slice two celery stalks in half.
Place in a pot of water along with chicken, chicken broth, garlic, tarragon, salt, and pepper. Bring mixture to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and cook 45 minutes or until chicken is tender. Remove chicken from broth, reserving broth.
Pour broth through a strainer into a large bowl and discard cooked vegetables. Remove and discard fat from broth and return broth to Dutch oven.
Chop carrots, onion and celery.
Add chopped onion, sliced celery, and sliced carrot to chicken broth; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat; simmer 15 minutes.
While the veggies are cooking, cook pasta according to package directions.
Chop chicken and set aside.
Add egg noodles and chicken to broth.
Add salt, pepper and tarragon to taste.
It just doesn’t get any better than home cooked Chicken Noodle Soup. It will calm you, refresh you, warm you and feed you.
There is truth to the saying “Chicken Soup for the Soul.”
Jody and Edna
- 1-4 lb. chicken
- 2 celery stalks, halved
- 2 large onions, quartered
- 2 carrots, halved
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried tarragon
- 4 cups water
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 12 oz. bag broad egg noodles
- 1 large onion—chopped
- 2 celery stalks—sliced
- 2 carrots—sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon tarragon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine first 10 ingredients in a large Dutch oven and bring mixture to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat and cook 45 minutes or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken from broth, reserving broth.
- Set chicken aside to cool.
- Pour broth through a strainer into a large bowl.
- Discard cooked vegetables.
- Remove and discard fat from broth and return broth to Dutch oven.
- Add chopped onion, sliced celery, and sliced carrot to chicken broth; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat; simmer 15 minutes.
- Cook noodles per package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Skin and bone chicken.
- Chop chicken meat and set aside.
- Stir in chopped chicken and noodles.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Add tarragon.
- Cook until thoroughly heated.