I went into my kitchen and stared at Edna, my beloved oven, willing her to inspire me to bake Sir Streusel a ‘sweet’. For whatever reason, I have had Snickerdoodle cookies on my brain. I guess because Christmas is starting to appear in the stores and Snickerdoodles are a staple in our home during the holidays. So I starting pulling together ingredients to make a small sheet pan cake with a frosting similar to the Snickerdoodle. This was the day the “Doodle” cake was born! Not quite Snickerdoodle but 100% Doodle!
Let’s just stop right here and absorb the fact that this little cake is DELICIOUS!
Ok, it’s time to get your Doodle on!
This cake and frosting are pretty basic and definitely fool proof.
The fool proof part is because of this baby…..
All good things start with Betty Crocker! Run, don’t walk, and pick up a box of her white cake mix. You probably already have one in your pantry so go pull it off the shelf and let’s get started.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 15” x 10” rimmed baking sheet pan with Baker’s Joy.
In a large bowl, beat the dry cake mix, buttermilk, eggs, oil, and dry vanilla pudding mix with a hand mixer until blended. Stir in one teaspoon cinnamon.
Pour the batter in to the prepared pan.
Bake for 20-25 minutes or until it passes the toothpick test.
In a medium saucepan, bring butter, heavy cream, and brown sugar to a boil over medium heat.
Once boiling, remove from heat and stir in vanilla, ground cinnamon, and powdered sugar, one cup at a time, until frosting is thick and shiny.
At this point, you might just want to take the pot to your chair, sit down, cross your legs, turn your tv to the Bravo channel and watch the Housewives, any city….they are ALL cray cray, and eat the frosting. I’m serious when I say that the frosting might not make it to the cake!
My frosting actually made it to the cake because I baked it for Sir Streusel. I mixed cinnamon and sugar together in a small bowl and sprinkled it on top. Did I hear someone say “BRILLIANT!” Thank you, really, thank you
Oh how I love you my little Doodle Cake.
Easy to make, bake and frost. You have no excuse. Now, go get you Doodle on!!!!
Jody and Edna
- I Box white cake mix
- 1 cups buttermilk
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup oil
- 1 (3.4 oz.) box instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup butter
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 15” x 10” rimmed baking sheet pan with Baker’s Joy.
- In a large bowl, beat the cake mix, buttermilk, eggs, oil, and dry pudding mix with a hand mixer until blended.
- Stir in one teaspoon cinnamon.
- Pour the batter in to the prepared pan and bake for 20-25 minutes or until it passes the toothpick test.
- In a medium saucepan, bring the butter, heavy cream, and brown sugar to a boil over medium heat.
- Once boiling, remove from heat and stir in the vanilla, ground cinnamon, and powdered sugar, one cup at a time, until frosting is thick and shiny.
- Whisk together cinnamon and sugar, and sprinkle over entire frosted cake.
- Allow cake to cool completely before cutting.