Thinking of a side dish can be tough some days. Why is that? You would think that thinking of the main dish would be hard but nooooo, for me….it’s the sides. The side dish rounds out the meal, gives us our veggie total for the day. I always want to fry up some bacon and place it on a pretty plate and hope no one notices that it is, well, you know…..bacon. During the summer I head to my little garden and pull some cucumber and peppers and throw in a little onion.
Slice the cucumbers, chop the peppers and onion and set to the side. In a medium saucepan, bring white vinegar, sugar, celery seeds, vegetable oil and salt to a boil. Remove from heat and let cool for about 20 minutes.
In a large bowl, toss the cucumbers, peppers, and onion with the vinaigrette and refrigerate at least 4 hours, best if it sits overnight.
I love the crunch of the crispy fresh cucumbers and peppers. Now you have a summer side that goes well with beef, chicken, pork, or seafood. WINNER!
Jody and Edna
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon celery seeds
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- salt to taste
- 4 cucumbers, sliced (5 cups)
- 1 medium red onion-rough chopped
- 1 large green pepper-chopped
- 1 large red pepper-chopped
- In a medium saucepan over high heat, bring the vinegar, sugar, celery seeds, vegetable oik and 1 teaspoon salt to a boil.
- Remove the pan from the heat and allow to cool, about 20 minutes.
- In a large bowl, toss the sliced cucumbers, onion and bell pepper with the vinaigrette and refrigerate overnight, or at least 4 hours.
- Serve cold.
- Best if sits overnight in fridge.