Today it’s all about the summer berries. My blueberries are coming in and I am using them every possible way that a blueberry can be eaten. For Father’s Day I baked Sir Streusel a trifle. It’s kinda hot in Florida, you know, 95 degrees with 90% humidity! I thought a cool fruit dessert would fit the menu for his special day.
I was in Raleigh last week visiting my male punks and sweet daughter-in-law. I haven’t seen them since Christmas and my time with them was waaaaay overdue.
The daughter of a dear friend of mine graduated from the University of Georgia. I felt that accomplishment was deserving of a bouquet of roses. We all know that cupcake roses are so much more fun than real roses.
Another sweet girl of a dear friend was entering her teen-age years and Edna and I surprised her with a Birthday Cupcake Bouquet. Her huge smile lit up the room!
Now let’s get down to the business of the Summer Berry Trifle. It starts with an Angel Food Cake. You can make one from a box mix or buy one from the bakery department in the grocery store. I made one from a mix and it was delish! You will then cut the baked cake into bite size pieces and set aside.
In a medium bowl, whisk together condensed milk and water. Whisk in cheesecake instant pudding for 2-3 minutes. Let it stand for a few minutes and thicken. Fold in a whipped topping (Cool Whip).
Start the layering process all over again. Layers are: Cake, blueberries, cream mixture, strawberries, and cream mixture.
If you buy your Angel Food Cake, this becomes a no bake dessert. Let me repeat that, a NO BAKE DESSERT!!! I really need to whisper that as I don’t ever want to upset Edna with the words “no bake”.
This is so refreshing and very low calorie if you use fat free sweetened condensed milk as well as fat free cool whip. I won’t tell. Eric loves fruit desserts and this one is so refreshing on our hot summer Florida days.
I do hope you will make this refreshing dessert. It is perfect for a hot summer day!
Jody and Edna
- Angel Food Cake-cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 pints strawberries, sliced
- 2 pints blueberries
- 1 1/2 cups cold water
- 6 tbsp sweetened condensed milk
- 1 (4 oz) package cheesecake instant pudding mix
- 12 oz. frozen whipped topping, thawed (Cool Whip)
- Whisk the condensed milk and water in a bowl.
- Whisk in the pudding mix for 2-3 minutes. Let stand for a couple of minutes to thicken.
- Fold whipped topping into the pudding mixture.
- Place half of the cake in the bottom of a trifle dish or a deep bowl.
- Sprinkle evenly with blueberries.
- Spread half of the cream mixture over the blueberries.
- Top with a layer of sliced strawberries.
- Layer the remaining cake cubes on top of the strawberries.
- Add more blueberries.
- Top with remaining cream mixture.
- Top with strawberries and blueberries.
- Use fat free sweetened condensed milk and whipped topping to make it low calorie.