Today I have another Crock-pot, or Slow Cooker, recipe for you. Every year, Sir Streusel and I rent a lake house in the Georgia Mountains and do nothing, seriously, nothing. Eric fishes from sun up until sun down. We don’t even go out to eat except for one night. I take the Crock-pot and of course my cast iron skillet and do easy meals for us. It is all about slowing down, resting and refreshing. Pulled Barbecue Chicken Sandwiches is on the menu every year.
I combine tomato sauce, chilies, vinegar, honey, paprika, tomato paste, Worcestershire, mustard, ground chipotle and salt in a 6 quart Crock Pot until combined and smooth. I add the chicken and garlic and stir to combine. Put the lid on and cook on low until the chicken can be pulled apart, about 5 hours.
I then transfer the chicken to a cutting board.
I shred it with two forks. It just falls apart and is so tender.
Return it the sauce and stir to combine.
Now, to put it over the top, slice some onions.
Brown them until they become a beautiful shade of bronze and are the most beautiful things you have ever seen.
Place chicken, topped with browned onions, on a bun and enjoy! This is the best and easiest Barbecue Pulled Chicken Sandwich ever.
I think everyone has their ‘go-to’ Crock Pot meals. Add this one to the list!
Jody and Edna
- 1 8-ounce tomato sauce
- 1 4-ounce can chopped green chiles, drained
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tab;es[ppm Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon ground chipotle chile
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken thighs and breasts
- 1 small onion-chopped
- t tablespoon minced garlic
- **medium onion for browning and serving on top of chicken for sandwich
- In a medium bow, combine tomato sauce, chiles, vinegar, honey, paprika, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, ground chipotle and salt in a 6 quart slow cooker until smooth.
- Add chicken, onion and garlic.
- Stir to combine.
- Put the lid on and cook on low until the chicken can be pulled apart, about 5 hours.
- Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and shred with a fork.Return the chicken to the sauce, stir and serve.
- *During the last hour of cooking, slice additional onion and brown, about 40 minutes in a skillet to serve on top of chicken.