I opened my freezer and these lovelies were screaming to come out and play. I made a very simple sweet and spicy rub, cooked them for a very short time on the stove top, and finished them in the oven. There were five boneless chops in the package. After our meal, there were no chops left. I ate one. Apparently Sir Streusel liked them a lot!
I made a rub of brown sugar, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, paprika, salt, and pepper.
Heat a small amount of olive oil in a skillet, if you know me, you know I am going to use cast iron. My cast iron is a prized possession in my kitchen. No one is allowed to clean it but me, no one. I made the mistake of letting someone clean a small skillet for me and they used detergent and scrubbed ….HARD! I had to re-season it, bake it, re-season it, bake it, whew, it was a mess. All I can say to that is, nobody messes with my cast iron.
That syrupy brown sugar that is oh so sweet and spicy will be the sauce that is spooned over the chops when plated.
Pop the skillet in the oven for approximately 10-15 minutes to finish cooking.
The chops that wanted to come out and play are smothered in that sweet and spicy rub that turned into a wonderful syrupy sauce. They were as tender as could be, and didn’t even need a knife. I am so glad these chops wanted to come out and play. We had a great time together!
I hope these show up soon on your table. Every table needs a little sweet and spicy once and a while!
Jody and Edna
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 3 TBSP olive oil
- 4 thick boneless pork chops
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, paprika, salt, and black pepper.
- Rub the chops with the spice mixture all over both sides of each chop.
- Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in a large, oven proof skillet, over medium heat.
- When the oil is heated, add the pork chops.
- Cook the chops for about 5 minutes on each side, or until browned.
- Place the skillet in the preheated oven to finish cooking chops for approximately 10-15 minutes.
- Plate chops and spoon thick sauce from skillet over chops.