When Sir Streusel returns home each week, this little girl, Stella, is ready to see her Daddy. They have this ritual on his first night back home where they get eye to eye and play non stop for about 30 minutes. Stella is quick, really quick, and she can jump around the bed like a cat. I am worn out just watching them each week.
This past week my Sunday School class had its monthly Ladies Night Out. It turned out to be the “Sisterhood of the Traveling Ladies Night Out.” We decided that we would go downtown and eat outside with a view of our beautiful water. As some of us arrived, and I am holding a container of delicious Chocolate Shortbread Bars to share, we were told it would be an hour and a half before they could seat us. No problem, we will just take the party somewhere else. We started frantically texting the ladies that we knew were coming to tell them we were changing restaurants. We arrived at restaurant number two, I am still carrying my container of Chocolate Shortbread Bars, and we are told yet again, one hour to one and a half hour wait. We find out that James Taylor is in concert and that is why all the downtown restaurants are packed. Now, I love my Ladies of the FOLD, but I would have ditched them in a second to hear JT sing “Sweet Baby James.” So we pull out our phones and text away telling the ladies we are moving to yet another restaurant. We pull up to the third restaurant, which by the way is five minutes from my home so I have come full circle, walk in and have a great meal with wonderful fellowship. This….this is what made it all worthwhile….
These Chocolate Shortbread Cookies are to die for. I mean like, crazy good!
These bars are thin with a buttery shortbread crust topped with chocolate chips and pecans. They aren’t very rich which means you could seriously eat five of these babies with no problem, but eating five bars could be a problem if you want to keep your pants buttoned. This is where I give you my most important advice ever, wear YOGA pants. Just go buy a pair and see if they don’t change your life, I dare you!
It’s not the best picture of these lovelies, but after three restaurants, driving all over Pensacola, me dragging the container of Chocolate Shortbread Bars around, I think they look beautiful!!
They loved the bars, I love the bars, you will too. You will have to bake them to know that you love them as well.
Jody and Edna
- Two sticks unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 14 oz. Sweetened condensed milk
- 3 TBSP unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup pecan halves
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a 9 x 13 pan with foil, letting foil overhang the edges. Spray lightly with cooking spray.
- Slice butter into cubes.
- In a large bowl, use a pastry cutter or fork, and cut butter in to sugar and flour until crumbly.
- Press mixture onto foil lined baking sheet until it is pressed evenly.
- Back for 12-15 minutes.
- In a second mixing bowl, combine condensed milk and cocoa. Stir until well combined.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips and pecans over the cooked crust.
- Pour chocolate condensed milk mixture evenly over the top of the chocolate chips and pecans.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes.
- Sprinkle mini chocolate chips immediately over pan immediately after removing from oven.
- Let cool completely before cutting into 24-28 bars.
- Store in tight container