This past weekend was my birthday. I LOVE my birthday! I never complain about my age, I am so grateful that the Lord blessed me with another year of great health. Thirty-five years ago, I married a really cute guy on my birthday. He was a great birthday present. We have been blessed with a great life, great punks (our kids), and great little dogs (the girls). Now let me be the first to say that these thirty-five years haven’t been one big party, there have been ups and downs, but I wouldn’t have it any other way. My favorite part of our marriage is our laughter. Hey, life it way too short to spend it angry and trying to find fault with someone. If you aren’t laughing, there is something wrong.
Our wedding day and my birthday, thirty-five years ago. Yep, I was rocking the hair and Eric was working the white tux for all it was worth..cough, cough..John Travolta…Saturday Night fever.
I baked myself a birthday cake, all chocolate of course, and anniversary cake for Eric.
I don’t think I even need to tell you how good it was. I mean, it literally melted in our mouths. Chocolate Fudge Cake with Chocolate Buttercream Frosting, enough said.
Eric asked me what I wanted to do for my birthday and I told him specifically, “Go to Sunday School and Church, go out for lunch to a restaurant that had outside dining so we can take the girls, go buy flowers to be planted in our yard, and finish the day with a coffee.” He responded, “I can do that, you don’t require much. I like that about you.” Translation, “It doesn’t take a lot of money to please you.”
Stella and Paloma were perfect little Birthday dates. They behave better than our punks did when they were young.
The highlight was getting the girls their Puppachinnos! They LOVE them! The girls are definitely Starbuck Pups.
Now for some food. This meal is one of my favorite ways to prepare chicken. The chicken is smothered in ham and cheese, then topped with tomatoes and green onions that had been tossed in lime juice. It packs a lot of flavor, a lot!
You can see the layers of flavor and the best part about this meal is it only takes minutes to prepare! Winner, Winner Chicken Dinner!!!!!
I served rice as the side dish. I cooked a pot of rice and added semi-melted butter, salt, pepper, garlic powder, parsley, and Parmesan cheese. Mixed it all together until the butter melted and the cheese was semi-melted. It is one of our favorite ‘go to’ side dishes.
Now I need to go laugh with my husband a little bit.
Jody and Edna
- 4 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 1/2 cups Italian Dressing
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 16 thin slices of smoked ham, 4 per breasts
- 4 slices of Provolone
- 1/2 cup diced green onions
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- Marinate chicken in Italian dressing for 2 to 4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Place on baking sheet and bake for about 20 minutes.
- Baste chicken with barbecue sauce and return to oven for about 10 minutes.
- Toss green onions and tomatoes with lime juice while chicken is back in oven.
- Top chicken with 4 slices of ham and 1 slice of cheese and return to oven for 5 minutes, or until cheese has melted.
- Top chicken with tomatoes and green onions and serve.