Why do I love this meal:
- It is completely from scratch.
- It is easy.
- It doesn’t contain “Cream of Something” soup
- It is easy.
- It has cream cheese.
- It can be prepared with Rotisserie Chicken.
- It was the Birthday meal everyone of my punks asked for during their growing up years. Therefore, this Mama tears up every time she prepares it. FYI: they still love it.
- It is easy.
First things first; mix melted butter, Ritz crackers, and 1/2 of poppy seeds together. (Correct proportions will be listed in the recipe.)
In a medium skillet, add remaining melted butter and cook onion and garlic over medium heat until soft. Stir in flour and whisk in broth. Add half-and-half and cook until it thickens. Gradually add softened, cubed cream cheese. Stir until smooth and creamy. FYI: The ‘bumps’ you are seeing in the picture are the onions.
So far so good right? Nothing to difficult here. If you can crush crackers, you can do this!
Once you have it all smooth and creamy, add the chicken, remaining poppy seeds, salt, and pepper.
You can cook and chop chicken or you can be like me. Get to the grocery store as soon as they pull those rotisseries out of the oven, grab one and RUN!
Add chicken mixture to bottom of prepared pan. Top with cracker mixture. Pop in the oven for approximately 25 minutes or until heated throughout. That’s it, nothing to it.
Now go sit down and watch Real Housewives on Bravo. I don’t know about you, but that show always makes me feel better about my girlfriends!
Fresh out of Edna and looking oh…so…good!
Grab a fork. Creamy chicken with a buttery crunch topping. It’s just so good!
Not one single can of “Cream of Something” was injured during this cooking process.
If I can make something from scratch without using so much processed food, I’m in. If it’s this easy, I’m in all the way! I hope this shows up on your table soon. It’s easy, quick, and GOOD!!!
Jody and Edna
adapted from Taste of South Magazine
- ½ cup butter, melted and divided
- 1 ½ cup crushed Ritz crackers
- 3 tablespoons poppy seeds, divided
- 1 cup onion-chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 cup half and half
- 6 ounces’ cream cheese, cubed and softened
- 6 cups cooked chicken-chopped
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven 350 degrees.
- Spray a 9x13 pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, stir together ¼ cup melted butter, crackers, 1 ½ tablespoons poppy seeds. Set aside.
- In a medium skillet, add remaining ¼ cup melted butter. Cook onion and garlic over medium heat until softened. Stirring occasionally until softened.
- Stir in flour.
- Gradually add broth, whisking to combine.
- Add half-and half. Cook until slightly thickened.
- Gradually add cream cheese stirring until melted and smooth.
- Add chicken, remaining 1 ½ tablespoons poppy seeds, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Spoon mixture into prepared pan.
- Top with cracker mixture.
- Bake until browned and heated throughout, about 25 minutes.