This month, the ‘Love Month’, has definitely been a month of trials. My family has had attacks coming at them right, left, up, down, and inside out. We are still in the fire but I know we will walk out of this. More about this when we come out Victorious!
Because of the ‘fire’, blogging has been almost non-existent this month. I have missed it. I love cooking, baking, creating, playing with my food. I finally cooked Sir Streusel a meal, I do believe it was the first one in two weeks. I just haven’t had the energy to cook and Edna has had my back. She knows me, she gets me. It is one of the many reasons I love her. Sir Streusel loves black beans and I love chicken and cheese. This meal comes together so quickly and it is comfort food at its best. I think it goes without saying that I needed some comfort! If you feel like you need to have arms around you saying, “There now sweet girl, this will pass”, run to your kitchen and prepare this meal!!!
**Excuse me a moment, I need to place a soft mat on the floor before continuing.
**Ok, I’m back. I pass out anytime I cover food with cheese. It’s why I had to lay a soft mat on the floor.
I hope this makes an appearance on your table very soon. Even your picky eaters will dig into this. Now, if you will excuse me, I need to dig in!!!
Jody and Edna
- 1 (10 oz) package yellow rice mix--prepared
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans--drained
- 1 (10 oz) can diced tomatoes and green chilies-- undrained
- 2 cups grated Monterey Jack cheese
- -Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- -Grate cheese.
- -Boil chicken in large pot until done, drain and chop into bit size pieces.
- -Chop: onion, green bell pepper, carrots
- -Sauté onion, bell pepper, and carrots in hot oil in a skillet over medium heat 10 minutes or until tender.
- -Combine hot cooked rice, onion mixture, chicken, beans, diced tomatoes and chilies, and 1 1/2 cup cheese in a large bowl.
- -Spoon into a lightly greased 13 x 9 inch baking dish.
- -sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- -Bake, covered for 30 minutes. Uncover and cook another 10 minutes.