I was raised to respect the pecan. My two brothers, my sister, and I would pick them up off the ground and fill brown paper grocery bags until the pecans spilled over. My sweet Mama would take the pecans, in the bags, to be cracked and then……those darn bags came back home. Each of us four kids would have our own bag and we would proceed to pick the meat from the cracked shells. Cracked fingers, split fingernails, making sure the shell remnants fell back into the bags so there wouldn’t be a mess, was all involved in getting every little piece of meat we could salvage. But it was all worthwhile when Mama’s Pecan Pie appeared on the table. In our family, that pie has a place of honor on each and every holiday and often ‘just because we want a ‘Pecan Pie’ day. This dish is a quick way to get your Pecan Pie fix in a jiffy. There is no crust to prepare. Just a wonderful crisp topping covering that delicious pecan pie filling. Get ready to fall in love my friends. Remember, respect the pecan.
This dish is so easy to get on the table. In a medium bowl, combine the ingredients for the crumb topping, and in a separate bowl, combine the wet ingredients. Place the pecan halves in the bottom of the baking dish. Pour the syrup mixture over pecans. Top with the crumb topping.
Few ingredients, small amount of time, BIG payoff! Perfect little cobbler that….respects the pecan. Enjoy!
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 3 tablespoon softened butter
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup corn syrup
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 3 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 2 cups pecan halves
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x9 pan with non-stick spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine Crumb Topping dry ingredients: flour, brown sugar, nutmeg, and cinnamon.
- Once dry ingredients are combined, stir in butter and chopped pecans until mixture is crumbly
- In a second medium bowl, whisk together: corn syrup, sugar, salt, melted butter, vanilla, and eggs. Sit until well combined.
- Place pecans on bottom of baking dish.
- Pour syrup mixture over pecans. Sprinkle crumble mixture over top of syrup mixture.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until bubbly.